Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Metropolitan Building

For a time it was the tallest building west of Chicago. It might have been the most beautiful building ever built in Minneapolis. It stood from the 1880's until 1962, when it was demolished because it was where it was. At the time of its demolition, it was full of tenants and still in good shape, but because it was in the Gateway Renewal district, it was to be demolished.
There was some fuss about it, but the building's fate was sealed. Before the demolition, the building was open for tours. My mother toured it, and I was born the next year. So maybe I once was inside the Metropolitan Building, but only in a dream. Here is my dream of it, my dream of its size and its outside and its inside and the view from the top. This is what I am working on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment